This article will guide you all about what WordPress is, and also tell you the difference between these two variants and therefore help you to understand which platform will be best for you.
What is the WordPress platform?
- It was started as a blogging tool, and it later evolved into a full CMS (content management system).
- The first version of WordPress was released in 2003, as an open source project licensed under GPLV2.
- Over the past 10 years, it has evolved into one of the most popular platforms for creating blogs and websites.
How to start using WordPress?
“how do I get it?” this is the question right ?
- It is 100% free.
- WordPress can be downloaded for self-hosted installations from WordPress.org or it can also be used as a hosted service via WordPress.com.
So, what are you waiting for? Go and get it today and start creating your awesome website.
What’s the difference between these two platform?
It offers two variations of its software –
- WordPress.com and
Let’s understand these two platform in better way –
It is a free blogging platform offered by Automatic, which allows anyone to create a blog for free.
When you create a blog on this platform, you will get a web address as “name.wordpress.com”.
Your blog will be hosted on the server. This platform is perfect for someone who wants to have a blog simply for the purpose of hosting his or her personal writings.
On this platform , however, you will have many limitations in terms of managing your blog.
Here are two big limitations:
- You cannot install third party plugins.
- You have limited theme choices.
It is good for:
- Individuals who wants to start a personal journal type blog
- Companies needing to have a web-space for announcements, where factors like design and also branding are not important
It is not good for:
- People who are planning to make money from a blog
- Companies using a content marketing blog as their marketing channel
- Individuals desiring total control over their website (FTP, custom code, custom plugins, etc.)
- Anyone wishing to use ad networks like Adsense or Infolinks
- Anyone wanting to create a blog for affiliate marketing purposes
It is a complete solution for people who are looking to start a blog for the purpose of making money, for promoting a small business, or for any other use such as creating an e-commerce site.
To use this platform, download a copy of WordPress from the official download page and also install it on your own hosting server.
Since It is one of the world’s most popular platforms, many hosting companies offer custom solutions or scripts like Fantastico which lets you install with one click.
Both the platform have similar interfaces (i.e. the Dashboard).
As a result it removes all the limitations of .com version, and offers you complete control over your blog.
Either you can:
- Create a custom theme/install third party themes
- Install third party plugins
- Monetize it in any way you choose
- (AdSense, affiliate marketing, in-text ads, paid reviews, and so on)